Pakistan envoy visits Bangladesh’s Chattogram seaport city
High Commissioner for Pakistan to Bangladesh, Mr. Imran Ahmed Siddiqui visited Chattogram on 25-26 February 2021.
- The High Commissioner began his visit by paying respects at Dargah Hazrat Shah Amanat. The High Commissioner prayed at the dargah and presented a Quranic calligraphy by Pakistan’s well-known artists Ajab Khan for the dargah’s mosque. He was most affectionately received by the custodians of the dargah and hundreds of devotees present at the dargah. The ancestors of Hazrat Shah Amanat had chosen Chattogram to spread the message of Islam in the 16th century. Pakistan most humbly shares the sufi traditions of Islam with brotherly Bangladesh.
- The High Commissioner later visited Chittagong Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI), Bangladesh Export Processing Zone Authority (BEPZA), Chattogram as well as Chattogram Export Processing Zone (EPZ). He also visited local industrial units besides meeting with a group of the members of Pakistan community in Chattogram.
- At CCCI, the High Commissioner was warmly received by Mr. Mahbubul Alam, President Chittagong Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI). In his remarks during the High Commissioner’s meeting with the Board, President (CCCI) said that Pakistan and Bangladesh shared history and culture, and commonality of views on a wide range of regional and international issues. This provided a sound basis for building cordial and mutually beneficial relationship between the two countries. The High Commissioner reciprocated good wishes expressed by President (CCCI) and hoped to work closely with the Chamber for promotion of close commercial relations between the two countries. The two sides then exchanged ideas on strengthening commercial relations between the two countries.
- The High Commissioner later visited the BEPZA office in Chattogram. In a detailed briefing at BEPZA, the High Commissioner was informed about various organizational and operational initiatives of BEPZA and the milestones it has thus far achieved. After this, the High Commissioner visited the Export Processing Zone located near BEPZA Office. He noted with satisfaction that Pakistani companies were among foreign investors in BEPZA’s schemes.
- The High Commissioner also visited local industrial units and observed various operations there.
- A group of Pakistanis in Chattogram also called on the High Commissioner in the evening. The group was briefed on various initiatives by the High Commission to improve consular services, among other issues. Press release, 27 February, 2021, Dhaka.